A right is permission given by the owner of a certain piece of property to use his or her work. There are specific things you should do when attaining the rights to a piece of property:
– Make sure whoever is selling you the rights indeed owns the rights. Have him/her present the property documentation proving that they are the rightful owner
– Make sure you have a written agreement. Hire an entertainment lawyer if you can afford one.
– Make sure there is consideration. Something of value has to be exchanged by both parties. In other words, you must pay something for the rights – even if it’s one dollar. You can’t attain rights for free.
– Specify what type of rights you are getting. There are many types of rights and it is important for both parties to know what types of rights are being exchanged. For example, the owner may only want to give you motion picture rights, but not television rights.
– Make sure you specify a term in which your ownership of the rights will last.